Saturday was St Patrick's day and the base of Copper Mountain was jamming. Not only had the mountain rocked all day, the village celebration was now about to kicking in by the time w made it to the bottom of the hill. Live music was being served up by the Samples a favorite son band from Boulder, Colorado. The sun was shining, the beer was flowing and smiles were everywhere. On days like this we savor spring and look forward to sqeezing out all the great spring days we possibly can go and ski or ride.
One reminder for this weekend and those heading out to the high country the next several months. The high bowls and peaks that were North facing at both areas still had soft silky winter snow from an earlier storm during the week. At Loveland we rode the Ridge chair and traversed high and far left to find the soft goods. It was about a 20 minute trek, but well worth the effort.
A couple of hot little spots we found this weekend were:
- Backcountry Brewery in downtown Frisco - We have beed here several times and the beer is always great. A selection of seasonal beers, a wide range from Pale ales, browns, great stout and prters microbrews and a full menu await anyone who enters. The surprise was on Friday night. A Friday night Happy Hour - $1 pints, and 2 for 1 appetizers. 4 of us had 3 appetizers and 4 rounds, we got out of the brewery with a $40 tab. That was one of the best evening happy hours I have seen in ski country on a Friday night in years.
- Farley's Chop House - Main Street Frisco Colorado. It had been years since I had eaten here, but I will be back sooner. We rolled in on Saturday night of St Patty's expecting a long wait. Surprise a seat and full menu at the bar as we walked in. Impressive menu with seafood, plenty of steaks and an affordable yet complete wine list. Both of us ordered the Lamb Tendorloin and it was excellent, this was served with a Cilantro/Sour Cream mashed potatoes which gave it a little of the green color for the day and offered a unique and flavorful potato serving. Not to be forgotten was a fantastic turkey and andouille sausage soup that was to die for. The food was very good and the atmosphere was enjoyable. We had expected a crowd and found Main Street Frisco and the two establishments we visited to be laid back and not over the top as I suspect was the case in some of the other the resort towns.
New merchants adding member benefits:
- Crystal Lodge - Whistler Blackcomb, British Columbia Canada
- Red Rooster Inn - Glenwood Springs, Colorado
- Colonel Spencers Inn - Campton New Hampshire
- Nordic Inn Condominiums - Loon Mountain New Hampshire
- Snow Visual - Satellite prints and posters of top mountain resorts
With spring time comes mountain run off and the rivers are filling up for rafting and kayak enthusiasts. We are pleased to announce we will be adding over 70 new rivers listings with members being able to book online raft, kayak, canoe trips, clinics, instruction and single to multi day vacations and outings. Book with our partner RiverRaftTrips.com and get to the river of your choice. Over 26 years of river experience, based in Boulder Colorado and booking with experienced outfitters all through the western United States.
Check out these new merchants and the savings they are extending to Mountain Sports Club members. Not a member, register now.